Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Hanging in There

My last post was two days before Cole's graduation, almost a whole month ago now.







 He left for college ten days after graduation, and I have to be honest, my heart broke a little ( OK, actually a lot). He was so ready and so happy that it was hard not to be happy for him, but I do not like him being gone one bit. I miss him terribly. Which is kind of funny, actually, because he really wasn't home all that much before he left. He managed to cram a whole lot of fun into those ten days. But his head was on his pillow at night, right where I like it. Well, except for the night he and his pals slept on an island in the Delaware...but that's a story for a different day.

We keep in touch primarily via short, witty texts, but I have had a few phone calls, two of which lasted more than 45 minutes each!  When I shared that with my good friend and neighbor, she informed me that she didn't think her teenage son had spoken to her for 45 minutes straight since he'd been in high school. I guess I should count my blessings and be glad that I raised another talker. The best part of my last conversation with Cole was when I told him I was trying to give him space and not call or text too often.  His response..."Mom, I don't need that much space." Glee! That's what I felt right then!

So this is what's been happening since he left...

Katie was in Secret Garden. A wonderful show with beautiful, haunting music. I never get tired of seeing her onstage.

Abbey spent a week at Singing Camp with some good friends and I got to enjoy her awesome concert last Thursday.

I cut off all of my hair. I decided to give the Claire Underwood look (from House of Cards) a try for the summer. It so easy. I love it.


My family completely indulged me and took me to fireworks for July 4th. I am sucker for really good fireworks and it had a been a few years since I'd seen any.

The hardest thing I've had to do since Cole left, is leave for vacation without him. We had planned this year's vacation for July instead of August so that we could all be together because Katie and Cole both left for college at the end of the summer. A three week getaway.  We weren't banking on summer session when these plans were made last October. That's what I get for always trying to outsmart fate by planning things to a T.

 But here I am, in my favorite place on earth. The place were I feel the most complete, the most at peace, and the most like my very best self. I hope you like it too, because odds are, every post for the next three weeks will feature this sweet little corner of the world. 
 The view from my bedroom deck


 Navy ships in the harbor


 Sailing School



I'd love to hear about your place. Where would you be if you could be anywhere?
Denise

4 comments:

  1. Your hair!
    I love it!!!!!
    Thinking of you as you begin a new chapter in your son's life. : )
    And where oh where is this beautiful vacation spot?
    Stunning.
    Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo! We are in Rockport, MA.

      Delete
  2. This part: oh, my heart!

    "The best part of my last conversation with Cole was when I told him I was trying to give him space and not call or text too often. His response..."Mom, I don't need that much space." Glee! That's what I felt right then!"

    I hope my son feels the same way when he is grown. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm re-reading my blog tonight, and saw this message from you many moons ago. Thank you!

      Delete