Friday, February 21, 2014

Perspective is a Wonderful Thing

I thought I was having a tough few weeks. Turns out I was wrong.  Here are the things that were happening:


  • Cole was home sick with what we thought was the flu, but actually turned out to be mono. He has two AP classes this semester, and I hate to see him feeling so awful, and also missing school and having to scramble to catch up.

  • Katie was going through sorority rush at college, and for a minute there, it didn't look like things were going to go her way. It was heart-wrenching. She is such an amazing girl, but fairly often, things just don't go the way they should, and Katie ends up with the short end of the stick. It's not fair or right, but it happens, and as a mom, it's terrible not to be able to fix it (everything DID work out perfectly in the end).

  • Abbey's weather anxiety kicked in big time yesterday  (more on that in the coming weeks). The weather has gotten a bit warmer, which is causing some freaky thunderstorms. She's on a field trip today, so dealing with her worries last night was challenging to say the least.

These things, and some other disappointments and aggravations were all weighing on my mind and heart and, if you had asked, I would have said it wasn't a great week.

And then I read Facebook this morning. 

There on my news feed was a post from a woman I recognize from town (and from other friends' Facebook pictures) but don't know personally. I will call her Jane.  Because my friends commented on her post, I was able to see it. It said:

Game On! First Chemo starting now!

Below that one line was a smiling picture of this strong and brave woman receiving her first treatment. 

 I was blown away by her amazing courage and her beautiful smile at the beginning of a journey that must be so daunting and terrifying. I was struck by the sudden urge to know her, so that I too could write words of support and encouragement below her picture, and find ways, however small, to lend my help and support to her and her family.  In an instant, Jane put my "bad" week into perspective. All I could think about was Jane and her family, and the struggles they had ahead of them. And there she was, facing all of that with a smile on her face.

I'm not saying that the things happening here at our house weren't real or worthy of some genuine mom stress and worry, but they were little things; little bumps in wonderfully full, rich lives filled with good health and lots of love. And don't get me wrong, as a family, we have weathered some really big, horrible bumps too. But not now, thankfully, and certainly not this week. 

In the quiet moments today and in the coming days, I will think of Jane and send her prayers and good thoughts for a quick and full recovery, and I will remind myself, often, to be grateful for this week.

Denise








No comments:

Post a Comment