Monday, February 24, 2014

What Love Looks Like


I am married to a great guy. He is so many wonderful things, but if I listed them here and he ever saw it, he'd be mortified. He is a humble guy, and a man of few words. I can tell you what he is not, however. He is not a gusher.

 He does not profess his love at every turn, he is not full of compliments and he most likely won't notice if I'm wearing something new. When I ask him how I look (usually only if we're headed out somewhere nice), his answer is almost inevitably "fine". Oh, and don't let me forget to mention this...he HATES Valentine's Day and refuses to celebrate it.

 For years I secretly (OK, not too secretly -- sometimes quite vocally) wished for the "romantic comedy" type of husband. You know, the guy who always says and does the most romantic things.  And then I started paying closer attention.

 Mike does profess his love and care for me and our family...and he does it often. His way is more subtle and quiet -- just like him. Here's what love looks like...

 Grilled Asparagus Pizza with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Caramelized Onions and Fontina - A huge favorite at our house

 Seared Scallops wrapped in Bacon with Fresh Sage and Golden Delicious Apples

 A Snack Cake Birthday Creation he made for Cole's Sixteenth Birthday Guys Weekend

 Our Gorgeous Thanksgiving Turkey cooked on the Weber grill every year

 Lobster Risotto





Ice Crean Sandwiches with Chocolate Chip Cookies, Bananas, Toffee, Hot Fudge and Vanilla Icecream

Homemade Bellinis starting from Fresh Peaches


"Mike's Potatoes" - Delicious Potatoes cooked with tremendous amounts of butter, garlic, Swiss cheese and love

So there it is, folks. One man's quiet way of showing everyone around him how much he loves them. He takes what little free time he has (and he truly has very little), and he creates beautiful meals for us. These meals give us the moments together that grow into some of our favorite family memories and stories.  That kind of love can't fit on a Valentine. <3


Disclaimer: These photos were snapped with my phone, and long before I knew they'd show up in a blog post. Next time I'll pull out the good camera to do Mike's meals justice. A food stylist I'm not. But boy, were these things delicious!

Denise

1 comment:

  1. Good Monday, Denise!

    Wow! I am so impressed and touched by the amount of sweet and savory " made with love " goodness in your home! Mike is an allstar!

    You are a lovely writer and so fun to visit!

    I was lucky to purchase my little fitbit-Zip at a reduced price at our company's health fair. I may have gone for the fitbit-One, because it has a charging cable. With the Zip you must have batteries on hand for replacement. The premise is simple, and I love it! I have 45 pounds that must come off, and cholesterol count to lower! : (

    Got to head to the office!

    Have a great week!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete